A big thank you and apple crumble smeared kiss to my cousin Amala and her mum Jaya aunty for this stellar recipe!
Apples – 500gm (about 2-3 medium-sized apples)
Wheat flour / atta – 1 cup
Salted butter – 100gm + a bit for greasing
Sugar – 4 tbsp white sugar
Demerara sugar- 2 tbsp
Salt – a pinch
Lemon juice – a few drops
Cloves- 3 nos
1. Wash, peel and chop the apples. Add a few drops of lemon juice to prevent browning. Mix in 2tbsp sugar along with water. Once it comes to a boil, add in the apples along with the 3 cloves and cook on a low fire until soft and mushy. Set aside to cool.
2. Mix salt and 2tbsp sugar with the flour. Lightly mix in the butter, rubbing it together with the flour using your fingertips until you get a mixture that resembles lumpy bread crumbs.
3. Grease a pie dish/cake tray with butter. Lay the cooked apples evenly. Add the flour mixture evenly on top and press down gently. Sprinkle demerara sugar on top for an extra crunch.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 25-30 mins. Keep a close watch on the crumble…once the flour mixture turns a golden brown, switch off the oven but let the crumble remain in the warmth.
5. Serve warm with a big scoop of Vanilla ice cream or cold custard. Enjoy!